View Single Post
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
enasnidx
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambuiAl View Post
mine is 18" and I think it's too wide, so the idea of a central ring seems quite good, but with three air inlets, and mostly having 2 closed, my worry would be one side of the 'ring' nearest the open inlet, burning out completely, and not spreading the burn around the ring.

I have a flat lid with the two exhausts - one 2" and one 3/4". I have an additional two 3/4" holes. So far, i have kept all 3 of the 3/4" holes capped and just used the big exhaust (but I am still learning about how the exhausts impact airflow and temps). Certainly rotating the lid without opening it seems a good idea if using just the 2" exhaust.

For my next build, I will make a more standard 14" basket I think. 18" seems too wide.
I did experience a little uneven burning if I didn't switch off which inlet I left open during the burn. I attribute this to the design of the UDS itself, regardless of the basket design you would experience uneven burning if you only use one intake the whole time. To combat this I've since put a ball valve on all three of my intakes and keep each partially open for even air flow. Worth the extra $18 in parts for me.