View Single Post
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
oldbill
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby384 View Post
I'm in the planning stages of having a pit built and was wondering if an ATC unit necessary for an offset? I've noticed that the top offset pit builders have great products, but won't they still have a margin for air leaks even though their doors are really sealed because of laser cut doors and such? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
I know that some people are using Gurus and Stokers on offsets but I'm not sure how well they're working with that style of rig. I do know however that it's very important to keep good airflow in an offset and when the Guru or Stoker fan cuts off there is generally no airflow and it seems to me that you're asking for trouble. If the cooker isn't drafting well then the smoke gets dirty and is also hanging out in the cooking chamber, which leads to creosote and bitterness on the meat! I think it's probably different with an Egg or WSM because the heat and smoke are travelling upwards and out the exhaust vent while in an offset it has to flow horizontally before it can leave the cooking chamber. The idea of anything stopping or interrupting airflow through my cooker is scary to me!