View Single Post
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #31
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by discmen95 View Post
I say break down and get a Maverick. It costs fifty bucks, but is well worth it. Stick the brisket on, insert probe, clamp on the bbq temp probe, and life is easy.
My thought as well. I like to keep my cooker closed during the cook. I also like to know what's going on inside. The only answer to that is having a meat thermometer I can read w/out opening the cooker. Add remote capability to that and I don't have to run outside to check, regardless of rain, snow or dark of night. I started with an ET-73 and upgraded to an ET-732 and they both do the job for smoking.

Depending On what I am smoking along with the 'main event' (fatties, brats) I may have to open the cooker during the cook, but I don't have to open it just to check.

I guess I'm in the minority here in that I've never made a brisket I was unhappy with. I did plenty of butts before my first brisket so I knew how my cookers performed and had an ET-73 so I could monitor progress. Finishing it on anything resembling a schedule is an entirely different thing.