View Single Post
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole D View Post
I recently took the kcbs judging class because I cook on a team and thought it would give me some insight on what judges. However I was really surprised at the lack of defined standards for the 3 scoring categories. Taste was simply what tastes good to you. Tenderness was you don't want it to be tough and you don't want it to be mushy. Appearance was does it wow you and make you want to eat it. In fact there wasn't even a standard way of coming up with a score. What I mean is we weren't told to start at a 9 and deduct points or start at a 3 and add points. We were told to do it however we felt comfortable but to be consistent throughout all categories in a competition.

The class did a very thorough job of covering rules like portions and allowable types of garnish. What to look for and how to score various violations.
Not sure what else one would do. Taste is 100% subjective in the taste buds God gave us. No two sets are the same. The description of tenderness is you don't want it under cooked (tough) or overcooked (mushy).

Jim - KCBS CBJ

Porcine Perfection BBQ Team - Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

18.5" WSM (1983 model) | 18.5" WSM (2010 model) | Packer Green Thermapen | Auber PID Temp Controller | QMaster Senior Temp Controller | Mini WSM | Green Bay Packer UDS
Porcine Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote