View Single Post
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #10974
Supes
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default My bash at a UDS

Hello, I'm new to the forums and live in the UK. A BBQ in England generally means putting some cheap sausages over half lit coals soaked in lighter fluid.

However, a few years back I learned the dark arts of cooking meat over indirect heat and it's changed my world.

This is my first bash at a UDS. I like to call her Mwfanwy.

This is the day of her maiden burn. I've just seasoned the insides with veg oil and wanted to get the outside nice and hot to harden the paint. It took 4 tins of heat proof paint and she's still not red enough for my liking.

It cost a lot more than I expected but apart from sanding out the inside of a burnt out drum, it was a fun project.

I couldn't find expanded steel anywhere in the UK so the charcoal bin is an old washing machine drum with loads of holes drilled at the bottom.

One of the things that surprised me was how quick the temp goes up. 15 minutes into the burn and she was already coming up to 250f.

I was amazed by how easy it is to control the heat and how it just seems to hang there at that temp. This was 6 hours into the burn.

And finally, 12.5 hours into the burn I went out and checked and she was still parked at 270f. I've no idea how long she kept chugging along as I went to bed.

Next weekend I plan to smoke a pork shoulder and a fatty. It's fathers day on Sunday in the UK and I intend to spend it eating nothing but meat.

Cheers!
Supes is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->