View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #19
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

> I was under the impression that just burning wood like this would lead to creosote-coated meat.

Wrong impression. As said by many, "Thin Blue Smoke is the result of a thorough combustion of fuel and plenty of airflow.". Allow me to say it the other way: Billowy White smoke is the result of smothering the fire and/or less air flow. Can be the result of either just starting a fire (it's not up to temps yet), or smothering a fire with too much wood, or smothering/cooling the fire with wet wood (refer to soaking wood chips/chunks), or just not getting enough air to the beast.

> Is the "sweet blue" just a Brethren thing?

Nope.

> Or do these fools just not know any better? I mean I saw $5-15K rigs pumping
> out plumes of the white smoke... Maybe I'm the fool for even asking the
> question... there's a village missing an idiot somewhere.

I think some competitors do this early on just for sport; to see who's lookin'. Knowing they'd never put meat on like that. Others, perhaps they dont know. Just because they compete doesn't mean that they make great BBQ. However, I'm sure most that do make great BBQ really understand sweet blue...

Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->