Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker
Regarding WIFI connection to internet, I ask new designer to do it as simple as Plug-and-Play, the user needs only input username and password. I am told technically it is possible. Be honest, I am worrying that you guys may have different ways to access to Internet, and whether new design can suit for all users environmental or not.
I've mentioned this before, both here and in PM. Forget about the Internet. Design the product so it will connect to the most common Wifi access points/routers on the market. AT&T uses a 2Wire Home Gateway and others use Linksys, D-Link and Netgear. There may be others. The thermometer needs to be able to connect to wireless LANs using the most common encryption protocols and with an open network. V1 doesn't do this. Once the unit can connect to these networks then the connection to the internet can be done by anyone familiar with setting up these routers. That part should not be part of your product.
Look at the CyberQ Wifi. It doesn't address connecting to the internet, but many users have done this on their own. The CyberQ Wifi supports the following...
- Built in Wifi Web Server allows remote access from your mobile device or PC
- 2.4 GHz, IEEE Std. 802.11b, Wi-Fi® certified (WFA ID: WFA7150)
and for the wireless security it supports...
- WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy. Supposed to give roughly the same level of security as a wired network. This was the original
- security setting on wireless networks. In the CyberQ Wifi it must be a value containing the characters 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F
- (hexadecimal value). WEP 40 requires 10 Characters, WEP104 requires 26 characters.
- WPA - Wi-Fi Protected Access. Provides better encryption than WEP and also has user authentication.
- WPA2 - a more secure version of WPA which provides "government grade" security. There are two versions of WPA2 - Personal &
- WPA AUTO Automatically selects a WPA or WPA2 network
- WPA or WPA2 PASS Uses a pass phrase instead of hex values.
- OPEN No Encryption pass required.
Support the same thing and the product will be able to connect to just about any wireless LAN.
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."
The Naked Fatty!
FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser and a pickle
Remembering a friend