View Single Post
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
The meat looks great. I am just not a big sous vide fan. Maybe my taste buds just can't adjust to the texture of it. The flavor is great but the texture, meh. Very nice post though. Thanks!
There are two stages in sous vide cooking. The first is getting up to temperature and the second is tenderness time.
Tenderness time is additional cooking time intended to make foods more tender. It is tacked on after the food reaches the desired final core temperature. The idea is that tough cuts of meat, such as short ribs, can be cooked well beyond the time they reach temperature. In some cases, this can be up to 72 hours. In less extreme cases, like pork chops for example, some people like to cook for an extra two to four hours in order to achieve the tenderness they desire without overcooking the chops the way traditional cooking methods would.
Marty if your sampling of sous vide has been of products that have been cooked too long in the tenderness time zone then I can understand your comment.
It is my view that I cooked the to products at an appropriate tenderness time and their texture was terrific.
John