View Single Post
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #38
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettle Man View Post
could someone explain what makes a reverse smoker reverse? this is another approach to rerouting the smoke. i've not made it.... would it work? http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...lly/smoker.jpg

A reverse flow smoker is not much more than moving the exhaust from the side opposite the firebox to the same side, and putting a baffle underneath that directs the smoke and heat (because heat rises) from the firebox to the opposite side of the smoker, then up, and reversing the flow back towards the firebox to the exhaust.

The exhaust, being on the side by the firebox, being slightly hotter, quite literally sucks the air up creating a very nice air flow, and in mine flows so well there's almost a convection going on with it. The baffle tends to even out the heat and the smoke...
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote