Thread: BGE Advice
View Single Post
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #28
martyleach
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I have a large BGE which is my go to for ribs. I use lump. Put large pieces in the bottom and gradually put smaller pieces as you move your way up. I scatter several pieces of small smoking wood throughout the layers.
Make sure the bottom vent is wide open and the adjustable vent on the lid is removed.
I make 2 holes equidistant from the center of the coal basket and put a BGE lighting thingy in each hole. They probably won't give you those so bring a MAPP torch or something like that to light them or the spot around the holes. Wait about 10 minutes until you have several nice flamey spots.
Close the lid of the BGE for 5 minutes or so. Put the adjustable vent on top with the vents in the open position. Close the bottom about half way. As the temp approaches 250, start closing off the bottom vent. The top vent will be within about a half an inch from closed to hold 250.

I cook ribs (spares, not babybacks) for 4 hours at 275 without foil, spritzing frequently after the rub has become firm. Or I cook at 275 until the rub has set and it looks pretty. Then I put in foil, bone down, with a little Peach Nectar (about 5 oz). Wrap the foil till airtight. Cook till toothpick tender. During the last 20 minutes I warm up whatever sauce I am going to use. I then sauce the ribs and let it glace until it is a Mahogany but not dark color. Pull them and let them rest for 15-20 minutes. Time to eat!
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->