View Single Post
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
lhommedieu
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quick question:

I am wondering if foiling my ribs will help me overcome a problem that I've been having.

I've been cooking my baby back ribs at 250 for 2 hours and then back down the heat to 225 for another 2 hours or so. Generally I take them off when they are toothpick tender and do the "bend test" as well.

Usually I marinade them overnight and then put on a dry rub for an hour before smoking. I also glaze them with BBQ sauce 1/2 hour before taking them off the smoker.

The ribs turn out great but I have noticed that the smaller ribs have a drier, "stringy" quality. These smaller ribs taste more like a caramelized "pig candy/jerky" than the meatier, moister larger ribs.

Some have said that the issue is really that the heat is too low to tenderize the collagen in the rib meat, and suggest I ramp up the heat to 275/250, etc.

I am willing to try that but I am also wondering if I am just losing too much moisture over the cook? I realize that this is probably part of a "foil/no foil" debate but just want to explore my options. I have not used foil to date and don't have this problem with any of the other cuts of meat that I BBQ.

Thanks from:--->