Unread 05-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgledy View Post
Thanks for all the replies and tips.

I have the Performer with gas ignition so the actually lighting is not really an issue. Plus, I bought a chimney that I use more for measuring charcoal than for lighting. I just did not know to open the lid or not. DUH! LOL

But how do I clean my cooking grate? With gas I'd crank all burners to HI and wait about 20 minutes. Then, come back and use my brass brush on my porcelain-coated steel grate. That brass brush ain't working very well on Weber's chrome grate. Plus, if I light a "chimney amount of coal", my fire is small, and only fills one side of the grill. It is not enough heat to burn the old food off the entire grate. Am I doing something wrong here?

I am sure that I am over thinking this, I always do that.

Thanks again for all the tips.
When you are done cooking put the lid on or cover the grate with some foil, this will help burn off any big mess left on. Also, don't worry about getting the grates sparkling clean, the grates work better with a good seasoning on them. If that's not enough to clean it off to your satisfaction just put the grate on for a few minutes over the hot coals before your next cook and give it a good scrape with a ball of aluminum foil.
Original Noobian Warlord
Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote