Thread: BGE Advice
View Single Post
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

General Kamado information:
+1 on don't over shoot your target temp.
Don't use lighter fluid.
I find controling with the top vent is easier and allows for the smoke to exit get fresh smoke in (plus it is a little easier for fine tuning).
Bring a large pizza pan (cheap) and a drip pan (cheap will work), heat diffusior and a drip pan, if the squeezins ignite you can't get the temps lowered back down quickly.
Bring your pit probe to make sure of where you are at (sure they are egg bi-metal, but they are still bi-metal).

There are a few dedicated groups dedicated explicitly to kamados. The most important thing you should know is starting and getting the cooker to temp. I own a kamado, I watch the thing like a hawk when it is starting for a smoke and my kamado can take 30+ to come up to temp. After that I ignore it and go watch tv or what ever while the meat cooks and my ET732 tells me it's time to pull it.

Now. If you nod off and someone opens your dampners, burp the cooker as you open it. Kamados can reach 1000 degrees plus, if you do not burp properly at high temps there can be a flashback.

All the really basic stuff a person may want to know about a kamado cooker.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->