Hmmm...I've done maybe 15 cooks in mine and don't have that problem.
Couple questions come to mind.
- Is yours the 18" or 22.5"
- Where do you put your top vent
- What kind of fuel you using?
- Maybe have a lot of leaks around the door?
A couple things I do differently:
- I use a full 16.6# bag of Kingsford
- I use 5 or 6 briquettes as the "starter" for the minion.
- I use a bamboo skewer as a "guage". I stick it in the three bottom vents, that's how far open they are.
- Top vent is always wide open, period (unless the smoker is in storage).
"Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire." - Exodus 12:9