Hmmm...I've done maybe 15 cooks in mine and don't have that problem.
Couple questions come to mind.
- Is yours the 18" or 22.5"
- Where do you put your top vent
- What kind of fuel you using?
- Maybe have a lot of leaks around the door?
A couple things I do differently:
- I use a full 16.6# bag of Kingsford
- I use 5 or 6 briquettes as the "starter" for the minion.
- I use a bamboo skewer as a "guage". I stick it in the three bottom vents, that's how far open they are.
- Top vent is always wide open, period (unless the smoker is in storage).
Meat eater. Woodworker. PS3 Gamer. Home Theater Guy. Beer Drinker.
WSM 22.5 and random cooking stuff used to help form my shapely manly figure.