View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
RustyPup
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ok, I got the drum painted (semi-gloss black - going simple on my first build,) the hardware and valve installed, and tried out a grill and the lid from my old Weber OTS. It fits great!

I think I messed up in spraying the Pam into the drum before I got it painted. I did cover the holes in the sides for the hardware, but it seeped under the tape in a couple of places. I also think that next time I'll use shortening instead of Pam. It's a bit neater to apply. Spraying the inside of the drum was just a mess.

I went with SS acorn nuts on the outside of the drum for a neater appearance and to keep me from snagging myself on the end of the bolt. If there's a way I can cut myself, I'll find it. Covering the end of the bolt eliminates one such possibility.

Now I just need to get hold of a piece of expanded steel (scrap metal dealer,) an ash pan (water heater pan or el cheapo 18" BBQ from the convenience store) a turkey fryer thermometer (and the fittings to mount it,) and we're ready to rock.

My lesson learned? Rub the inside of the drum down with Crisco and season it like I do cast iron cookware. Spraying the inside of a drum with Pam while I'm half-way in the danged thing is just a big mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UD Build 9.jpg (49.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 10.jpg (23.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 11.jpg (23.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 12.jpg (48.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 13.jpg (49.2 KB, 73 views)