View Single Post
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #25
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinb View Post
I've tried to find fresh brisket, tracked down an organic black angus cattle farmer and asked if I could get a fresh one. She said they flash freeze all their meat and it wasn't easy to get it fresh. They also said their organic beef briskets are much smaller than regular briskets. They said a whole organic brisket was in the 8 pound range. Their meat is about twice as much as local grocers per pound. They say its better tasting and healthier, but twice the rate? Needless to say I haven't sampled any of her meat. My question is, how do you find a brisket that was not frozen?
For BBQ, avoid anything that is "good for you." Organic? Grass fed? Free range? Local farm? Sustainable? Pfft.

(I'm kidding, but only partly. Larger, well marbled cuts of beef and pork are what you want. Healthier generally means leaner. Great for the grill, not so good for slow fire cooking. If you want to pay double for a brisket, at least get a 17 pound grain fed Wagyu or something. Those lean locally raised free range chickens are great on your table, but they won't do as well in a comp as the mass market stuff at the supermarket. )
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote