View Single Post
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Not to long ago we had a little get-to-gether for 30-40 highschoolers at the farm. I had a hot pit from doing briskets & butts all day and just wanted to trow some chicken quarters on for a couple hours to round out the menu but when I pulled it out at the appointed time it was still partially frozen. I said what the hay, seasoned it up and me the DA threw it on. WTF There was so much moisture still held in the partially frozen 1/4's it started to "rain" in the pit then instantly hit the hot RF plate and turned into an UGLY steam/smoke that I could not control and could not get the pit back to temp for an hour. What a friggin mess; the 1/4's cooked but had a "black sooty" appearance that wiped off as soon as you touched it and the skin was the consistency of a rubber glove. I was to embarrased to serve it and to cheap to pitch it so it went into a pan and back into the fridge. Couple days later, wiped off all the gunk, stripped of the skin and broke down all the useable meat. Wife used some in an enchilada pie (pretty darn tasty) and the rest went to chicken salad (not bad at all). Lesson learned, gonna make darn sure chicks are fully defrosted and dried out in the future!
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote