View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoorhouse View Post
On a side note, I did look up Pig Shots, and finally cooked them tonight. They were good, but not as good as I was expecting. I think I made three mistakes though....

1) too much cream cheese,
2) not enough brown sugar
3) I got them ready an hour too early, so the sugar had soaked into the cream cheese by the time they went on the grill.

Still, they were good enough that I think I will have to try making them again.
Funny thing. I did some pig shots yesterday, and for the first time, they sucked. I've made them several times before with fantastic results.

Another funny thing. You just diagnosed my problem too. I went overboard w/ the cream cheese and underboard with the brown sugar. I got Philly Cream Cheese this time, whereas before I've always bought the generic. It puffed up and had these little brown bumps all over it yesterday. It had a burnt taste too. I'll be going back to the generic the next time I do them. I think that the "lower quality" cream cheese might just be a better fit for smoking. Not sure, though. Also, they got done when no one was around and weren't very good an hour later when I served them. These are definitely an appetizer that should go straight from smoker to mouths.
Harrisonville, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!

71-South is online now   Reply With Quote