View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Spicy Sausage, Saigon Garlic-Lemon Wings, Thai Noodle Salad

This is my official entry for the Thai One On throwdown. I wanted to do chicken and pork so I hit the cookbooks for some inspiration.

For the pork I found a Spicy Sausage recipe in The True Thai Cookbook by Victor Sodsook. His version is stuffed into a casing but I decided to do them like a naked fatty. I diced some boneless country ribs and ground it up in a food processor with all of his recommended spices. Lime zest, Thai fish sauce, lots of chopped garlic, white pepper, ground coriander, chopped cilantro stems, and a healthy dose of red curry paste. These were cooked indirect/smoked with one piece of peach wood.

I formed some logs with waxed paper and let them set up for a couple hours.

My chicken was adapted from a recipe I found in Steven Raichlenís Barbecue Bible.
I prepared a recipe from Vietnam I call Saigon Garlic-Lemon Wings. His version uses lemongrass which I didnít have time to search for so I used the recommended substitute lemon zest. I made a marinade of garlic, shallots, fresh ginger, lemon zest, brown sugar, Thai fish sauce, lemon juice, and oil. The wings are spread open with a skewer to maximum the surface area. They were cooked over a charcoal fire and basted with some of the marinade.

Ready for the grill.

I forgot to take a shot of them on the pit but here they are all done and ready to plate.

To round things I made a cold Thai Noodle Salad.
It was made with purple corn and rice noodles mixed with some broccoli slaw with carrots & red cabbage. The dressing has Thai sweet red chili sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce.

Please use this shot as my official entry. I know it's blurry but it is the best one I took.

I have to say everything came out better than I expected. My family just loved it, and so did I.
Thanks for looking.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->