View Single Post
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Arristillius
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New BPS Build First Real Cook

I have been lurking on this board for quite some time, and have quite enjoyed all of the lovely bbq pr0n so I figured I would see what you guys thought of my work, *I realize my camera leaves an annoying blue tint *

I thought about building a UDS for a while but my wife thought the big pappa smoker kit would save me time and effort and result in a much more attractive result, and she normally hates when I spend money, so I couldn't say no

I found a 55 gallon drum used for lemon juice concentrate on craigslist and burned it out with a weed burner, after the initial joy of owning a flamethrower wore off, and my wife begged me to stop burning things in my yard, it only took about an hour to strip the paint, then I scrubbed it out with some simple green and a scotch pad, till it was shiny, rinsed it well, dried it out with the flamethrower for fun, and painted it while it was still warm :P

and the lid :P

for future reference I noted that I should have drilled the holes prior to painting it flat black... it was a bit harder to mark the barrel than I would have liked after the black paint. so it took me a whole day to assemble the kit, and I didn't take any progress pics till I had her oiled up and burning on my patio.

*note the Maverick 732 hanging out, I need to figure out a good solution for the probe cables*
it ran for 13 hours on the first run without me touching it... aside from lunch, I couldn't resist putting some chicken breast in it, made a great sammy

Tonight is the first real cook after two impressive in my opinion dry runs where it stayed within 5 degrees of where I put it for at least 10 hours. I am doing 3 racks of baby back ribs from Costco, and 3 fatty's, because I have never smoked a fatty before *It took me a while to figure out what you guys were talking about* I am just doing them plain out of the package with some rub on them, I might stuff them next time

anyhow here she is loaded up, ill post pics of the results when I pull them, if I remember before I start eating

and here is the smoker all loaded up with what I think is the right color smoke, it looks blue to me
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->