View Single Post
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #19
Mixin
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I can see where you're heading, and if you followed the bolt on/bolt off tray arrangement it could be easily adapted to a replacement cab/chassis down the track.

We ran our F100 on 100% propane. 2 tanks, either side, hung under the tray between the cab & rear wheels. I'm sure you could mount the diesel tank in a similar location and follow the advice about a low firebox at the rear - that's going to keep plenty of distance from the ignition source to the diesel tank, and the heat from the smoker itself is no worse than that in a hot engine bay, so all the other components wouldn't be too worried. And there's always plenty of ideas for heat shielding as well.

I think you can come up with a design that works. Airbag suspension would be ideal to get a nice working height, but I do like the idea of a flip-down work platform (to stand on) - this could be on one side, and a serving/eating arrangement on the other side.

If you've got the steel, the welder, and the time, I reckon go for it. Might pay to use alloy checker plate or expanded mesh on the work platforms to keep some of the weight down.
Mixin is offline   Reply With Quote