Update: I'm back in business. I got my replacement IOIO and repaired the controller. (And yes, I'm adding a diode to prevent me from being an idiot again. Well, I'll still be an idiot but at least I won't have to pay for it.) While waiting for the part to arrive I took the time to update the hardware with a much smaller blower. I'm also fiddling around with the PID settings.
I ran another test today and the new blower/PID settings seemed to help. I'm still having issues with the temperature shooting past the set point at first but then it settles down and holds a pretty steady temperature. Here's the chart from today:
I'm pretty pleased with those results (green line is blower speed, flat blue line is target temperature, other two lines are the thermometers). Clearly the blower kicked in when the temp dropped to target and kept it steady. Now I just need to replicate it. :)
On the downside, the range is still not good. I tried using a different bluetooth dongle and it does have a longer range but the connection is flaky and will cut out for no apparent reason. I will continue to look into that.
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn
If you would like, I will help you. I have an Arduino, a buttload of resistors, some iGrill probes, a DS18B20, AND a UDS.
Thanks SmokinJohn. What I plan on doing is writing up the plans at Instructables.com and get feedback from any of you who try to build it. Just so you know, I'm not using an Arduino but something called a IOIO
Originally Posted by Neonnblack
Because its fun to make it yourself.