View Single Post
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
j20832
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

If it's the same one I saw last week, it was a masterbuilt 40". I have the barebones model ($175) that I got 4 years ago as my "starter" smoker before I had any idea what I was doing. The advantages are that this smoker is thermostatically controlled so on a long smoke you can get some sleep, works very well for low-temp, minimal smoking (like chipotles, salmon, etc.) The model on sale now also has a built in meat thermometer with RF remote, nice touches.

The downside is that you don't get a clean burning fire, but a smoldering one, so the smoke flavor can be on the harsh side. Also seems like you are paying a lot for a glass window that I can't see remaining clear for very long (short term-steam/smoke, long term-residue).

My advice would be to have your friend get something inexpensive off of CL and start with that. Maybe a COS or a OTG and go from there. For the same price as that electric you are in the price range of a WSM 18" which, if he really gets into BBQ, will be much more useful in the long run.

Thanks from:--->