Originally Posted by DirtyChurro
The connection at the propane burner failed and started burning the paint off. My 11 year old son came home from school, saw it on fire, called me, shut off the propane tank, which was "spewing fire like a flamethrower", and beat the small portion of the porch that was on fire with a shovel before I could get there. He's my hero.
I'm glad you're all unhurt and your house survived.
Please consider HankB's sage advice:
Sometimes I think I'm being too much of a ninny when I point out to people the risks in their setup. And then I hear stories like yours.
I used to roll as a paid on call firefighter and rolled on the occasional grill gone bad.
Please put yourself more than one mistake away from disaster. We all make mistakes. Don't put yourself in a position where that mistake results in disaster. Fire in a garage, porch, on a deck or too close to a structure is just a bad idea waiting to teach you a lesson.
I'm glad your son was there to intervene.