View Single Post
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChurro View Post
The connection at the propane burner failed and started burning the paint off. My 11 year old son came home from school, saw it on fire, called me, shut off the propane tank, which was "spewing fire like a flamethrower", and beat the small portion of the porch that was on fire with a shovel before I could get there. He's my hero.
I'm glad you're all unhurt and your house survived.

Please consider HankB's sage advice:

Sometimes I think I'm being too much of a ninny when I point out to people the risks in their setup. And then I hear stories like yours.

I used to roll as a paid on call firefighter and rolled on the occasional grill gone bad.

Please put yourself more than one mistake away from disaster. We all make mistakes. Don't put yourself in a position where that mistake results in disaster. Fire in a garage, porch, on a deck or too close to a structure is just a bad idea waiting to teach you a lesson.

/rant

I'm glad your son was there to intervene.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is online now   Reply With Quote