Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Comp style bbq period what a joke.
Pretty bold statement there. Not saying right or wrong, just bold. I like "shoot from the hip" kind of comments
But to the OP I like ribs multiple ways. I do like "comp" style and I really think judges do as well. They keep scoring that way at least. It is just one of many ways to cook bbq.
To even more directly answer you question of "Why do we cook ribs comp style?
".........here are my answers.
1. It was a style of rib cooking I wanted to learn (even prior to competing)
2. I like them that way a lot of the times
3. My friends & family like them that way
4. They do score well in KCBS
5. I like the difficulty of hitting the smaller window of the bite through without falling off the bone