View Single Post
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Mahoney86
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

This has been a big discussion with lots of people on and off the board. Its funny I was with a KCBS judge over the weekend and this topic came up. Even has a judge he tells me many times himself and the other judges ask each other, what actually are we judging. Are we judging to taste the meat, the rub, the injection, the complication of the overall piece of meat etc.. He said that the food that wins, usually does not even taste like the meat should taste as it is covered with layer upon layer of rub and loads of sauce etc.

Don't get me wrong, I cannot wait to try my hands at comp cooking and I love to prepare my food to not only look well but taste well. Though if the judges and the cooks don't even like the final product, what are we doing? I agree appliance is huge, and making each cut of meat look as closely identical to the others is part of that

Personally I like my ribs to come clean off the bone with a little tug. I don't like to dig out meat from my teeth and nibble on the bone to get it clean, but at the same token I do not like my food to be mushy that it literally just falls off the bone that you can't even cut them.
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote