View Single Post
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttburnersbbq View Post
Just like everyone else is saying , pro comps are more entry fees and all 4 categories. We started doing pro comps last year and to me it was a blast. Cooking all 4 categories is a big time management challenge. If you do a pro comp you need to practice and have a schedule from preping meat to when mets need to go on/off smoker and turn in times. Pro comps for the serious bbq guys. I did not care for the backyard comps since a lot of teams are just there to party and I am very serious when I smoke on getting meat/taste just right. There is no party/drinking or having a good time in a pro comp . So choice is yours.
This of course holds true for KCBS, but no for all other sanctioning bodies. For example, in both GBA and MBN you can enter just 1 category (ribs for example) in the "pro" division, win and GC the entire competition...

Getting back to the question, to me it depends on why you're competing. If you're competing to win and beat so-so competition, then stay away from the "pro" area. For me, I would always seek out only the pro divisions that had a good spread of the great teams, because to me personally I was there to COMPETE. It's your choice, IMHO.