View Single Post
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

well, got hungry so no money shots...the shoulder wasn't quite "done"... it was a beast trying to pull some sections.

Couple of notes / issues I had with the WSM:

1) It took almost 3 hours before I started getting the "thin blue". Is this normal? Sucks losing that much charcoal time waiting for the smoker to come up to operating specs.

2) 1st smoke, so I imagine I was running hot however it just felt like I was burning the fuel too fast...I had to shift the coals fairly frequently once I hit the 5 hour point.

3) I know this was me being lazy however how much coal are you supposed to put in the ring? I filled it to roughly level with enough space to put 15 lit coals for minion. Any ideas?

I know I made a number of mistakes (ran out of KBB so I ended up having to do half the coals KBB and half the Competition briqs). Just seemed like I had to babysit a little more than I was planning. Also, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to reach the lower grate...I need to get some bricks to rest the upper grate on when probing / temping the lower grate.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote