View Single Post
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
cousinconley
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7 View Post
Hey there cousinconely--did you get your cast iron grill from the current cook n kettle co. , or elsewhere? I own my Dad's that date from the 50's , and everything inside has burnt out, and needs repacing. The bottom damper has fused to the kettle , and i'm afraid to try to pop it loose for fear of cracking my old kettle. Do you , or anyone have ideas on how to get it loose?
I got mine off Craigslist and did the restore myself. The gentleman I bought it off of has had it since 1961. Here is the link to the thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=133906

To get the bottom damper off, see if you can somehow submerge the bottom of the kettle in distilled vinegar or soak some old cloth in vinegar and lay it on the area around the damper. Warning...it will smell aweful but it eats away at the rust. I would only do this for a day at a time and check the results. It will begin to eat away at the metal if you leave it there a few days.

Alternatively, you could grind it off with an angle grinder, if feasible, and purchase a new damper from the new company.

Thanks from:--->