View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The Chinese are masters of cooking pork. Flat out, they do more with the whole animal than any other group of folks. Now to the original question.

Dong Po Pork is not really boiled, it is braised. Otherwise, exactly as Woodpellet Smoker said, the flavor profile is typical of most Hakkasan cooking. That is to say it is salty/sweet/sour/fatty. I have made it and it is a special dish. It takes a good three hours in a slow braise, and what you need to do is render the connective tissue and the fat, once that is done, it can be served hot or at room temperature and will have a melting texture.

I make char siu with belly, and that is more of a traditional coastal Cantonese preparation, where the meat is marinated then roasted. I prefer to roast it slowly in a smoker, to get a nice slow render. It also takes 3 hours, as 225F to 250F, it will burn however, due to the sugars in my char siu marinade. But, it gives great flavor and once rendered, it again, can be served at room temperature or hot.

My favorite way to prepare belly is similar to Siu Yuk, where the belly is marinated on the flesh and fat side, with the top left unmarinated. Then roasted at 275F for 2 hours, and seared off on the skin side to get crispy. For this, I prefer a marinade of Hoisin sauce, dark soy, pulverized garlic, ginger and scallion. The top is punctured with hundreds of needle punctures and treated with vinegar, then rubbed vigorously with salt. This gives you a nice crisp surface. Let me go look for a recipe.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->