View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

As usual, I have a theory Ryan. It goes like this, and it is based on trimmed weight.

Any brisket under 6 pounds is too small to cook slow, and too small to reliably cook to tenderness without some technique to shelter the meat from drying. I chose rolling, but, foil or Dutch oven would also work.

From 7 to 10 pounds, they can be done using a more traditional method, but, with wrapping. If it is a large flat, then maybe not. But, too many small briskets out there right now.

From 11 to 14 pounds, this is the sweet spot, these cook up reliably great, and you can find thicker flats and decent points in this weight group. Any brisket in this weight range will cook up with any method done well.

Above 15 pounds, these again get tricky, they often have very thick flats and can take so long to get tender, the surface is hard to keep moist.

This was a neat experiment, but, amongst other things, I want more brisket and there is almost none left. And it was odd, with too much waste, that piece of meat ended up costing more than a steak. Just not worth it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->