View Single Post
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #33
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Okay, a more serious answer, because I am seriously trying to pump my 'helpful post' count.

1. I take careful note of everything I do with each cook. From the spice rub to the meat selection and process. With the advent of digital photography, this became even better. When I was younger and learning to cook, I kept logs, noting process and results.

2. I read a lot about what other people do, good or bad. If what I wanted to do was learn brisket, I would read every single thread carefully, about what the person did and what they ended up with. You can learn from others success and failure.

4. I do NOT drink when I cook normally. I drink afterwards and make up for lost time. But, when I am running my cooker, I am about cooking.

5. Just because it isn't BBQ, doesn't mean I can't learn anything, and I listen and consider what anyone who is willing, will teach me. If Bobby Flay or Steve Raichlen wanted me to cook with them, I would be thrilled, that would go for anyone, you want to talk food with me, I am there.
These are the most important to me. And re #1, I continue to log all cooks in detail and include comments on what I would do differently next time. Then I refer to that before the next cook. I even logged reheating some beef ribs trimmed from a standing rib roast because there was... uh... stuff to learn.

Thanks from:--->