View Single Post
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
NCoonis
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Offset Vertical Drum Smoker

Whats up guys, check out my UDS Frankenstein. I'm calling it an Offset Vertical Drum Smoker, but if you google that you'll find zero results. Since I couldn't find another one, that made me REALLY want to build one.

My 8 year old son Owen and I have been designing/building it for about 3 months now and with a lot of help from the Brethren I think we've got her dialed in pretty well. Three things I discovered during this process, I love working with my son, I love building BBQ's, and I love JB Weld!!

The Deets:
The fire box is a 33 gallon steel drum with 4 ea 3/4" brass ball valve/iron pipe intakes and two 1-1/8" intake holes with a sheet metal damper. There is a 4" iron pipe connecting the fire box to the

The Smoke Chamber is a 55 gallon oil drum that I burned 5 pallets in and cleaned with detergent at least three times. It holds three 22" weber grills and has a 4" x 2' x .032 rolled aluminum stack on top. I used a high temp silicone cloth material I had for the gasket around the door, and the diamond plate door I had rolled at a sheet metal shop (I already had the diamond plate, traded the labor of rolling it for some smoked tri-tip).

The stand is a steel storage shelving unit we modified and added the two lawn mower wheels on a 3/8" all thread axle, and we also added a 4" swivel caster in the front under the firebox drum.

I bought these latches from ebay for $10 each, smokin deal but I didn't realize how huge they were! But we used them anyway.

Well, there she is. We've used her twice now and aside from some temp issues due to a lack of quality thermometer and two small of an exhaust (originally had just the 2" bung hole on the smoke chamber drum) she works great! Cooked three tri-tip two whole chickens and 15 pounds of brisket and everything so far has came out delicious.

Thanks for letting me share, and I'd really love you comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker 5.jpg (56.0 KB, 1103 views)
File Type: jpg smoker 6.jpg (31.4 KB, 1102 views)
File Type: jpg smoker 7.jpg (43.5 KB, 1096 views)
File Type: jpg smoker 8.jpg (54.3 KB, 1099 views)
NCoonis is offline   Reply With Quote