View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Mustanger
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Great Idea / MoKan BBQ Battle

Hey Stan,

The MoKan BBQ Battle definitely sounds like a great idea.

I really do like your new logo!

As KCBS BOD member Jeff Stith has said on more that one occasion, the states of Kansas and Missouri really do need to form a KCBS BBQ association that will help promote the local hobby.

This is definitely an idea whose time has come.

As far as I currently know, there are approximately 60+ different BBQ associations in the Americas (North America, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean). A lot of the jurisdictions overlap.

Ideally, the KCBS would have set up state and regional KCBS sponsored associations several years ago. I believe that they did not do so because of perceived liability issues.

However, the KCBS is now considering setting up KCBS sponsored chapters in foreign countries.

Personally, I feel that a Missouri - Kansas Border War is a good idea. Expecially since the University of Missouri left the Big 12 in 2012!

I do have a couple of questions, and some suggestions.

Question 1: What will this association do for BBQ judges?

Question 2: What will this association do in the off months?

How about partnering with two of the other great BBQ non-profits (Kookers Kare & Operation BBQ Relief [the one you co-founded]) and sponsoring jointly sanctioned BBQ events in the winter months? Polar Bear events are always interesting.

Perhaps sponsoring progressive BBQ dinners at some of the BBQ restaurants in Kansas and Missouri?

Perhaps a couple of bus tours, and kitchen tours, of the some of the BBQ restaurants in the greater Kansas City area?

There are all sorts of possibilities.

The idea of a MoKan BBQ Battle seems to be well thought out.

Unfortunately, I do have some reservations about the proposed scoring system.

I really do have a problem with your current conversion factors.

What about using the the actual scores that each of the teams earned in the individual contests, and total them all up?

That would most assuredly put an end to worrying about tie breakers.

Please do not think that I am a nay sayer, or that I am against your idea.

Far from it!

However, in order to make this work, you will have to go through some growing pains.

You can never make everybody happy.

Thank you very much for proposing this idea.

All in all, I think that it is a great one, and that it just needs a little tweaking.

I am sure that there are other Brethren, who are far wiser than I am, that can suggest all sorts of other good ideas.

I wish you the absolute best of luck in this and all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Ken
The Mustanger
Parkville, MO 64152
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mokanlogo300x2501.jpg (23.7 KB, 113 views)
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote