View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Found some matches.
Join Date: 03-12-13
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Cool First significant cook on my new One Touch Silver: Turkey! (pics)

So I had this turkey sitting in my freezer for about 3 months or so, I got it from Acme or Shop Rite or whomever in one of those "buy a certain amount of crap and we'll give you a free turkey" deals, and I figured since I just got this new Weber I might as well cook that sucker up. Since so much time had passed and I had gotten the bird for free it was a no lose situation. If I blew it, I'd just throw it down the alley and let the stray cats have a feast. I'd never done a turkey at all before this one so I read a few recipes and watched a couple of videos and had at it.

So here's the hero of the day, about 11.5 pounds of factory fowl. Sadly, being a mass produced product, I could not give him the brine bath that we all deserve because he had a sodium injection before he was frozen. I rinsed the bird thoroughly with cold water and painted a thin coat of peanut oil all over before applying the rub. I used a Frankenstein rub consisting of Paprika, black pepper, brown sugar, a little cayenne, a little mustard seed, a little garlic powder and a few other spices that I mixed together. I also took advantage of the unsightly gash across young Tom's back to stuff a ton of butter and rub underneath the skin. I made a few strategic cuts on the breast and thighs of the turkey for the same reason. After letting him sit for a short while to absorb some flavor, it was time to go on the kettle.

So here's our guy all rubbed down, legs tied up and wings foiled to avoid burning. I went center style indirect heat. I filled the Weber trays all the way, poured all the coals into the chimney and lit up. After about 22 minutes or so I lined the trays with a layer of unlit briquetes (Blue bag Kingsford) and a couple handfuls of soaked cherrywood chips and emptied the chimney on top. After letting the fire settle for a few minutes, the bird went on.

So, about an hour in (I added some more soaked cherrywood chips at the 30 minute mark) I decide to video what my next moves are and it turned out mostly bad. Voices are distant and muffled but you can get a general idea of what is going on. At the one hour mark I proceeded to open the kettle and inject some melted, unsalted butter into the breast and the thighs to keep everything nice and moist. I also put my thermometer into the breast to see where we were. Not even 5 minutes after this video was shot, the temp shot up to 170. So I foiled the breast and put the thermometer into the deep thigh and waited for it to get to 180. At around the 90 minute mark the thigh temp finally got there. I took the turkey off the kettle, put it in a small roasting pan, poured all the drippings from the grill drip pan over it, covered it in foil and let it rest for 35 minutes.

So here's our guy after the rest. Nice color, crisp skin, moist and juicy as you can want.

Nice slices of breast. Some good bark, smoke ring and moist enough to not need gravy.

Here are the drumsticks and a wing. The other wing got eaten before a picture could be taken.

And here's the pile. It was so tender I stopped slicing and just pulled it. A good mix of white and dark meat. All very flavorful and juicy.

For a first attempt my expectations were exceeded. Everything went as smooth as can be asked for and outside of my Maverick grill temp probe crapping out after three uses (I demand justice!) I'm going to go ahead and call this experiment a win.
MrSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->