View Single Post
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

OK... I'll be serious.

What are you cooking on? I would cook the chicken at 275 or higher to get the skin decent. I prefer around 325.

Buy a whole chicken (Probably a smaller one, but that depends on the size of the turn in vessel. Cut the back bone out with poultry shears or a knife (be careful) and lay it open. Use your fingers to work out the breast bone (also called the keel bone because of its shape) and then use your knife to cut the bird in half.

I would brine the bird, but that's personal preference. I use 1/2 cup Morton kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce and a tablespoon or two of rub. Dissolve the salt, sugar and rub in a couple of cups of hot water and then add the soy sauce and enough cold water to bring it up to a gallon total (cut this is half or 1/4 depending on the size of your brining container). Brine the chicken for a couple of hours, rinse, dry and let it rest in a cooler or fridge for about an hour. Then rub the skin lightly with oil (I use canola) and apply your rub to both sides of the half-chicken. Cook at 325 until the breast is at 155 or higher and the thigh is at 165 or higher. The leg/thigh should move easily and the juices should not be pink.

I can't help with presentation but if you tell us the rules for that I'm sure you will get suggestions.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote