View Single Post
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Here's mine and smoked chicken really come through great. I make my own broth as well. Enjoy

Homemade Chicken Soup
By Bluesman

Nothing takes away the chill better than a hot bowl of fresh chicken soup. This recipe is completely self-induced and should be altered by you to enhance and or build upon.

Ingredients:
Stock:
2# Chicken thighs with drum sticks
Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
3-4 Quarts of water
½ stalk of celery chopped about 2” pieces with leaves
1 medium to large onion quartered and leafed
8 carrot stalks cleaned and cut into 2” pieces
3-4 Bay leaves
1 Tsp. or so of garlic powder or a couple of cloves

Bake seasoned chicken at 350* for 1 hour
Fill stock pot with water and add chicken, whole, veggies and seasoning
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 4 hours.

Soup:
5-6# whole cutup chicken
½ stalk of cleaned celery cut about ¼’ thick slices
8 carrot stalks cleaned and sliced in ¼” pieces
1 large onion chopped
Smoke chicken until finished no need to season much
Chop veggies and put in the frig for later
1# Amish Egg Noodles of the noodle of your choice

When the chicken is done, let it cool down. Then strip skin and remove meat from the bone. Tear into long thin strips were possible. Put stripped chicken into fridge. Take the bones and add to the stock. Throw the skin away.

Final Fun:
When the stock is starting to take on a nice rich golden color remove from heat and let cool. Then strain the stock through a fine strainer and discard all the veggies and chicken. Seems like a waste but trust me the flavor is all gone. Now add the fresh veggies to the stock and simmer until tender. Next add the Amish egg noodles and cook until tender. Last add the chicken and cook until hot.

Now get a bowl, some crusty bread sit down and enjoy the comfort you have created.

Note: the stock can be raised back to a boil in the last hour. Reduce by about one-third. This will be the richest stock you’ve ever tasted. Don’t be afraid to make way more stock than you need, even two pots. The reduced stock makes not only an out of this world broth but can be frozen. Yup, freeze it in some ice cube trays. Then the next time you want a wonderful reduction sauce for your steak dinner grab a few cubes of this goodness. Reduction sauce to be covered in another class.
Weber Q200
1983 WGA
Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->