View Single Post
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

if i remember correctly, the base of the DrP marinade was Dr pepper, hot sauces and BBQ Sauce, then we all added our own touches... mine being loads of chopped garlic and some other stuff(onion, bay leaf,e tc). IMO, the marinade did a brisket good.. but its needs at least 24 hours.. but too long and it gets mushy. look up old threads from 2004-2005.. theres one in there that will show a brisket nearly disintergrated after 5 days in the marinade.

but what was important to note was the DrP(or any Coke) product contained phosphoric acid, which acted like a tenderizer, thus the variations using coke and rootbeer. At the time, this did not hold true for ANY of the diet products, or pepsi products. Shortly after(a year or 2), pepsi starting listing phosphoric acid in the ingredients too, and folks were using pepsi too.

i think the real idea back then was to marinade to tenderize. The coke definitely did something to the meat, as it was evident after a long >24 hour soak. The outside of the meat took on a different(softer) texture.. and the hots sauce gave it a twangy kick.. Its not a S&P brisket.. its different..

At this stage of my BBQ, I am definitely a proponent of the salt/pepper/garlic/cayenne.. and thats about it.. maybe a touch of lawrys.. but i think everyone should give the DrP marinades a shot at least once.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->