Thread: Bread Recipe
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ruminations on bread...

1. Softer bread is the result of adding fat to the dough. By adding 10 to 15 percent of fat to the dough, you get a softer loaf. This is why there is Olive Oil bread from Italy.

2. Milk leads to a softer bread crumb as well, thus milk and butter in a dough is going to give you soft white bread. The combination of milk and fat gives up American white bread.

3. A moist bread surface gives you a thinner crumb/crust, so most commercial operations use a steam injection oven. You can spray the top of your loaf with water to retard the crust in a similar fashion.

4. Steam is still your friend, I like to put a cast iron skillet into the oven, and preheat the entire thing. Then, when the bread goes in, I throw 5 or 6 ice cubes in the cast iron skillet and close the door, instant steam injection. Once is enough for that.

5. For loaves, generally, a light colored pan yields a light colored side and bottom crust, a dark colored pan yields a darker crust. Hence, commercial cake pans are almost always tinned aluminum or steel, the light tin color leads to pale cakes.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.