Thread: Kasseler Ham
View Single Post
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hi Thermal Mass,

Cheers Dude...I'll try and answer your questions....

1) I use the rule that if the outside ambient temperature is equal to or lesser than working fridge temperature (5°C) then I'll cold smoke...I'm pretty sure you can go slightly higher than this but I haven't tried it.

2&3) I use a metal mesh sieve as a cold smoke generator and this lasts for ~5hrs on one load of sawdust, so on day one I get it smouldering about 06:00-06:30, go off to work and at lunchtime I come home, re load it and re light it, back to work for the afternoon and by the time I get home again it's time to re load and re light.
I'll do this again at about 22:00-23:00 and then go to bed.
Sure, there will be a periods where no smoke is being generated - esp. on the overnight stretch but after doing this for 5 days they come out alright!

4) Good on ya Mate! I'm well jealous, please post up pics!!!

I was thinking about getting a wooden tool shed to use as a dedicated cold smoker but then I saw a programme on TV about Emmets who make the famous Suffolk Black Ham and Bacon (this stuff is awesome) and they use a brick built outbuilding where they just have a huge pile of sawdust on the brick floor which they light with straw, hang the hams in the rafters and just let it smoulder for a week or so.

Thanks from:--->