I am almost to embarrassed to post this but it's a good precautionary tale.
What you see my friends is what used to be an old bath towel. I am working on some jerky today. I put a small handful of chips into an electric smoker for about 30 min just to give it a kiss of smoke. When the chips were spent I took the chip pan out. I just grabbed the closest thing I saw an old towel that I used to wipe my hands earlier. No big deal it worked fine. My temp was fine so I went inside to do a couple things and when I came out this is what I saw. At first I was like what the frack is this. Then I realized it was the towel I had used. I am not sure if a tinny ember got caught in it or just the heat from the hot metal started it smoldering. But when I looked at it closer I could see it was still glowing. Needless to say I drug the chair out and sprayed it down with the hose. So now as my punishment for not paying attention I have a nice mess to deal with. Then when the wifey gets home I will have to tell her how I could have burned the house down.
I feel pretty stupid but I guess things could have been a lot worse.