View Single Post
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I've eaten Gyros and/or Doners in over a dozen countries and they are different in all of them! I have a very good Turkish friend who lives in Istanbul and had many discussions on the merits of different ones in different locations, having sampled them together in Italy, France, The Netherlands, and Turkey -- it's something we do when we meet. If you want to go traditional, the slabs of meat on spits are much more common in Europe (and Greece and Turkey) and the giant gyros fatties on a vertical spit are more common in North America. I have asked the difference between gyro and doner of a couple of Turkish people and they say there is absolutely no difference and they use the two terms completely interchangeably. While based on linguistics, Doner is Turkish and Gyro is Greek, they don't seem to have any distinction in Turkey. It could be a local thing. I don't think I've ever seen a "doner" in Greece, although I've had many gyros there (with fries, of course). I believe my favorite are the ones in the Netherlands. I really like the sauce they use, but I really love sambal.

Here's a little doner/gyro made in the North American fashion:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=48
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->