View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
arrowhead
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
Just curious, what criteria do you use to "pick the best pigs"? Are you striving for a balance of experience or just picking the judges with the most experience? Or some other criteria (names you've heard before, pretty handwriting, distance they live from the event, etc.)?
I'm curious, as I know that I was one of the first judges who signed up for a contest, but was on the "alternate judge" list until more than 40 teams signed up. At the time I had judged 12 contests.
registration is basically first come, first serve. extra weight is given to master judges (move up the list). otherwise, the number of contests judged isn't a factor in your list position.

we are holding a cbj class wednesday night prior to our contest. say we get 30 people signed up for the class. if we get 42 registered teams, we would select 7 newly minted judges to judge on saturday, 1 per table.

the experienced judges would be divided amongst the tables based on contests judged to spread it out, not having 3 mcbj at the same table, for example.

i hope that makes sense. lol