View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #25
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It gets a little more complicated when you look at a Southern Pride or Frederick smoker, that uses gas or electric for heat and wood for flavor. A lot of folks won't call that BBQ. But, what then, is it. If it is smoked with wood smoke, generated from burning wood, it is smoked. Given the above, I would call it BBQ.
And I think most bbq snobs, even those of us that really like to adhere to tradition or the spirit of it as best we can, would agree this is still BBQ, but we'd probably say "restaurant BBQ", because it's tough for a restaurant to keep up with health code and the wood involved to have, use, keep a good old fashioned pit.

JohnHB, for some of us who grew up in the deep south, BBQ is part of our heritage. For us, grilling was never associated with BBQ; we grew up knowing there is a huge difference. BBQ to us, if not restaurant BBQ, was produced using a pit of one type or another, and the hogs or hog parts (1/2 hogs, whole shoulders, hams [what most now call fresh or green ham, because we called a cured ham a "cured ham"], etc.) were cooked fairly low and slow, usually over some combination of hickory, pecan, and oak.
Because of the scale of the endeavor, more often than not it was some type of party. We'd often call it a "pig pickin'".

I compete occasionally. I have a competition partner who enjoys competing too. I prefer to compete in MBN competitions because it embraces the heritage I described above. My friend enjoys KCBS/FBA competitions, because frankly he enjoys eating brisket. Nothing wrong with that; different preferences...

Going back to "restaurant BBQ" talked about briefly above; when I try to think back and recall the BBQ restaurants we'd eat at when I was a kid, I dont ever recall them having/serving either chicken or brisket. Mind you, I'm from the deep south; where if it's called BBQ it's PORK; pulled pork, and that's what BBQ restaurants served. If they served anything else, it was ribs. Fries, cole slaw, beans. That was about it. Sweet Tea, or beer.

Thanks from: --->