View Single Post
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I literally just went from a gravity fed (TnT) to 2 Backwoods in December. Burn time is pretty similar. I could get a few more pounds of charcoal in the gravity chute, but I haven't really had to reload my BWS. Adding more charcoal in a gravity fed is a little easier, but for BWS all you have to do is push the lit stuff to the back of the pan and add more in the front. Not hard at all for me.

The water pan clean up is something you don't have to deal with in a gravity feed. The BWS is a little easier to setup the wood for long smokes without having to add more wood, though a lot of gravity fed guys add wood in the chute with the charcoal.

Both cook efficiently, but I have noticed that my BWS temp recovery time when I open the door is a lot faster than the gravity fed. A part of this is due to the BWS cooking chamber being smaller.

One other thing to think about is what size do you need. I loved how big my TnT was, but rarely ever had it loaded up and I needed a trailer to move it. I can get both my BWS in the back of my truck and tote them around.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote