View Single Post
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Got a Thai charcoal cooker

While picking up a 20" wok at The Wok Shop to use in my XL BGE, I found this Thai charcoal cooker:

I'd seen a similar cooker earlier in some posts elsewhere by Brethren member Woodmonkey and he recommended them for wok cooking. When I saw this cooker in person I had to get it.

I've been having fun with it and with some different recipes! I tried my 12" wok on it with K briquettes and found the heat a little lacking (even after removing the insert to allow more air in under the Wok):

Experimented using some hanging tender(hanger steak) meat instead of flank (won't do this again - too tender & texture didn't seem right):

Put my 10" CI grate from my Mini BGE onto the cooker & seared the last of the hanging tender:

We enjoyed the grilled hangar steak with the meal:

I've found lump burns hotter in the cooker and have no problems keeping my. 16" wok hot:

Chicken, shallots, fermented black bean sauce, & asparagus:

This was cooked in 2 batches to avoid overloading the wok & combined at the end:

To shut it down & save an unused lump, I put the cooker into the XL BGE and close it up.

The cooker has worked out great so far, especially for some mid-week quick cooks.

Thx for looking!

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, Santa Maria Grill, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->