View Single Post
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #39
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
My own experience with raised beds has been very good. I have used rough sawn cedar boards, and have been very happy with the results.

The two main advantages of raised beds, from my own experience, is that you can fill the raised beds with good soil, and you get good drainage. Good drainage means you have moist roots, but not waterlogged roots.

Of course, whether or not you need raised beds depends on your native soil. Talk to a certified gardener (what they are called down here) before starting a garden. This is a worldwide forum. What works for me in Dallas is not likely to to work for you in Connecticut. You need to get advice that is tailored to your location.

CD
Hmmm, I thought this thread was gone. Glad it isn't. Anyway- Casey- I happen to
be a Certified (by the UConn Extension Service Program) Master Gardener.

I've done Square Foot, raised beds, vertical, row, no removing of dead material, mulch, no mulch etc over the years. It's fun to change things up every few years.

This German thing has me intrigued!

Here's a pic of what I was in the process of doing. See my earlier post above re: the plan. There are about 60 garlic cloves under the straw and those are raspberry plants on the right.

This area now has the 2 "skid rows". The bird netting is my most effective anti-squirrel device!

Thanks from:--->