View Single Post
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont81 View Post
Would love to see how this connects to the WSM up close. Is this on an 18 or 22 model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I'm digging it, but I can't tell from the pic. What is holding the rebar upright?

I would love to try this on mine for IBCA chicken halves.
This is using 3/8" rebar and mounted in a 18.5 WSM. The mount itself is alarmingly simple. I used a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder to cut a groove in the end of the rebar that would fit the tab that supports the top grate The slot from the cutoff wheel was actually too narrow so I enlarged it carefully to just fit the tab. I also angled it slightly as it seemed to me that the tabs point slightly up. I also bent the support so it is a couple inches wider than the opening which puts it under some spring tension when it is fitted to the tabs. This does not seem like it would be very sturdy but it was surprisingly so.

My original plan was (and still is) to make a second one. I'll notch them where they cross in the middle so they engage and provide additional stability. (Neat time I head to my son's place I will probably have him weld them together.)

Here's a detail picture of the attachment.

And a repeat of the picture from my first post for reference.

The last bit of useful information I think I can provide is that I cut a piece of cardboard into a semicircle that would fit the inside of the lid and then drew out and measured where I wanted this support to go so I could get it as far as possible up into the dome.

I'd consider making the same thing for mi 22.5 WSM but I'm not sure that 3/8" rebar wold be sturdy enough and I'm not sure I could bend 1/2" rebar without better tools. (Might impose on my son again - I could notch the bar to bend it and he could weld the notches closed to restore strength.)

Thanks from: --->