View Single Post
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
chingador
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Now let's add the liquid. I add 32 ounces of beef broth and 2 beers at this time. Use whatever beer you are drinking. It really doesn't matter. A stronger flavor beer like an IPA might change the flavor a bit, but that is just personality. Today, I used Michelob Ultra. Like I said, it really doesn't matter. Just don't use a beer that is not fit to drink. At least in your opinion.

Now you have the base liquid for your chili and it is ready for some seasoning. now is when I add my first dump of spices. Here is what I have in my first dump:

3 tablespoons of Fiesta brand pinto bean seasoning
2 table spoons of Gebhart Chili Powder
1 tablespoon of Penzy's Ancho Shili Powder
1 tablespoon of Cumin
2 tablespoon of Wylers Chicken Bouillon crystals
1 tablespoon of Wylers Beef Bouillon crystals
1 teaspoon of Penzy's Chipotle Powder
1 packet of Sazon Goya (Achiote)
1 teaspoon of unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 pinch of brown sugar (enough to round out the flavors)

Okay, you guys not from Texas are probably wondering just what the hell Fiesta Brand Pinto Bean seasoning is. Let me tell you, this stuff is magic. It already has chili powder, cumin and other spices. It has a perfectly balanced flavor. I use this as the carrier for everything else I add. It is really mellow and doesn't stand out on its own. It is great. The non sweetened cocoa powder is something I just recently started using. This is without a doubt my key ingredient. It really fills the gaps between all of the other flavors. It is an extremely important ingredient. A better step would be to use Mexican chocolate, but in addition to being lazy, I am cheap and forgetfull and didn't get any when I was at the store. My wife's Ghirardelli unsweetened will work. An additional note on Mexican chocolate: It contains cinnamon. Some people do add cinnamon to their chili. I do not.

Another thing you can do at this point is to add a decent chug of bourbon to the chili. This is a nice touch. I will do this from time to time. It adds another nice dimension of flavor. You can also add tequila. I am going to keep things relatively simple.

Add that to the liquid base and you now have your flavor base for the chili... We are now ready to add some meat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chili 3.JPG (125.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg chili 5.JPG (119.3 KB, 195 views)

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser

Last edited by chingador; 02-23-2013 at 03:14 PM..
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote