View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
is one Smokin' Farker
Default continuing on

Okay, we have the meat part covered. Now it is time to discuss the flavor we are going to impart. Flavor comes down to vegetables, wet ingredients and spices. I prefer to use fresh vegetables when I can instead of all dry ingredients. In competitions like Terlingua, you have to use all dry, but I am not competing here. I am just trying to make the best chili I can make.

I use chopped onion and chopped Jalepeno. About a cup of chopped onion and about a 1/2 cup or so of chopped jalepenos will do. My local grocery store has the prechopped jalepenos and onions already (I am lazy). I like to make sure that some seeds make it into the chili. That will help ramp up the spice. I also use tomato paste. For the liquid, I mainly use beef broth, beer and round out the rest with water. To bind things together and to round out the flavors, I use tomato paste.

I will add the dry spices in two dumps. What I am trying to do is create a base of flavor with these the vegetables, liquid and spice before I add the meat.

The gangs all here.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chili 8.JPG (123.6 KB, 241 views)

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser

Last edited by chingador; 02-23-2013 at 03:05 PM..
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote